On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 04:17:49PM -0600, Jens Owen wrote:
> I haven't touched Solaris in over 6 years, but back in the day it was
> possible to provide a unique driver.  This was done for Sun's high end
> 3D  sparc platform and included kernel level support for page faults
> based context switching.  There was lots of sophisticated stuff, and I'd
> be surprised if they've completely removed the ability to handle this.

That is for solaris sparc. It has a known API for "framebuffer" devices.
Solaris x86 does not have that.

> > The good news is that /dev/xsvc still works for register fiddling.
> > So you can take the IO register mapping that the Xserver does, and use
> > the mmaped regs at user level still.

> Enabling user level access to primary AGP buffers is where security goes
> out the window for many AGP based HW solutions.

Security is not a problem in this area. The same mechanism that limits
access to /dev/xsvc for console users, can be used to limit access to
/dev/agpgart

[But there is no /dev/agpgart on sparc, because of course there is NO AGP
 on sparc]

> >  ----- EASE OF PORTING issues --------------
> >
> > I think there are some card drivers under dri that "require" agp to work.
> > This has got to be fixed. For every card, there should be a
> > "fall back to using on-board video memory" mode. Similarly, a
> > "fall back to no DMA" mode.
>
> With some hardware, that is a very limited amount of functionality that
> doesn't even include 3D.

I would like to know what card made in the last 5 years cannot do 3d
operations to its own video memory.
[as opposed to "Well, dri doesnt implement that, for that card"]

> > Similarly, I believe that there is a check for custom card-specific
> > kenel-level extensions, and if they are not there, DRI does not install
> > itself for that card. That needs to be optional, not a drop-dead issue.
>
> Some hardware will not provide 3D functionality without extensions.
> Expecting every vendor to support 3D via MMIO is unlikely.

I'm not objecting to "using extensions". I'm objecting to requiring
card-specific tweaks **at kernel level**.
How many of these cards you mention, cannot be programmed for 3d
by mmaping the registers?

> If all you want is a very basic level of 3D support, I recommend you
> support 3Dfx only.  That's where FreeBSD support started.  No AGP, DMA
> or interrupts required.  Just straight MMIO.

I dont intend to go out and buy yet another card. I have TNT and g400
cards. I've already got TNT working with Utah-GLX. The only question in my
mind now is whether I start working on the g400 stuff in Utah-GLX, or
in DRI.

> The xsvc driver might make a good cruch for 3Dfx support, but "others"
> will need to get it out of the way in order to persue the functionality
> provided by newer hardware.

There's "optimum" use, and then there's "accelerated" use.
The TNT support in Utah-GLX does not support the features available in
"newer hardware", like TNT2, or Geforce.
But it does **WORK** with those cards, and provide reasonable
hardware acceleration, for basic Quake^H^H^H^H^Happlication testing :-)

Thats what I (and others) would be looking for.

> If all you want if your card to work and you don't care about the long
> term viability of your preferred OS and/or the underlying 3D
> infrastructure, save us all a bunch of headaches and get a 3Dfx card
> from ebay, port the glide layer, then the 3Dfx DRM driver and be done
> with it.

I'm looking to work on a project that cares about cross-platform support.
"saving you a bunch of headaches" does not seem like an indication of that.