On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:38:35PM +0100, Michael wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:04:27PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> > Simon Fowler wrote:
> > >
> > > Running FlightGear with  the latest XFree86 4.2.0 code (ie,
> > > xf-4_2-branch) and the latest code from the DRI tcl-0-0-branch I get
> > > very dark textures, particularly close up:
> > >
> > > http://himi.org/stuff/fgfs-screen-tcl.png (~270kB)
> > >
> > > Running with RADEON_NO_TCL=1 gives much brighter textures:
> > >
> > > http://himi.org/stuff/fgfs-screen-no-tcl.png (~200kB)
> > >
> > > I'm not sure when this started - it looks like some of the
> > > screenshots Martin Spott posted from March showed the same thing,
> > > but I haven't checked out older CVS code to try and track it down.
> > >

> > Does RADEON_NO_VTXFMT=t affect the problem, or do you have to turn off tcl
> > altogether?
>
> only NO_TCL sorts it. It looks like lighting, if you disable texturing
> the NO_TCL has bright colors whereas most of the scene is black on the
> TCL path.
>
> fgfs does have a time of day parameter (defaults to the real time)
> playing with that does get a better scene, which did make me wonder if
> if it was light position? That may be a red herring though, certainly
> doesn't seem to be texturing though.

Those screenshots I posted were with the sun nearly directly
overhead - I've seen the same effect near dusk, also, but I'm not
sure how the two scenes compare.

How close the viewpoint is to the texture does seem to make a
difference, as does the angle the view makes to the triangles in the
scene - looking down on the scenery from some altitude it's less
dark, and coming in to land it can get so dark the scenery becomes
almost uniformly black (making landings very hard ;-). That might
just be due to seeing the triangles head on versus obliquely,
though.

I'll take some more screenshots with the sun in different positions
and from different viewpoints and do a more direct comparison.

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or ftp://bg77.anu.edu.au/pub/himi/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://bg77.anu.edu.au