On 31 May 2002 23:20:19 +0200
Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 02:30, Felix Kühling wrote:
> >
> > I reported lockups shortly after starting the Xserver with a gcc 3.0
> > compiled drm module that triggered the strange permission problem. Now I
> > tested it without loading the dri Xserver module in XF86Config and got
> > the same lockup. The following messages in XFree86.1.log indicate that
> > the problem is that the 2D driver currently doesn't work without drm:
[...]
> These messages are harmless unless one of the unresolved symbols is
> referenced, which shouldn't happen when DRI is disabled. And even if one
> of them was referenced, that would cause a server crash and not a
> lockup. (Unless the crash causes a lockup...)

I had a closer look at this. I get a lockup when I run the Xserver
without DRI after switching from a 2D accelerated XFree86 4.1 server to
the text console. If DRI is loaded there is no problem. If I start the
Mach64-Xserver after a reboot and without DRI there is no problem
either.

I guess this means that the 3D driver puts the card in some state that
the 2D driver relies on and the old Xserver messes it up.

Regards,
   Felix

__Tschüß_______\_6 6_/___/__ \___/__ \___/___\___You can do anything,___
_____Felix_______\Ä/\ \_____\ \_____\ \______U___just not everything____
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    >o<__/   \___/   \___/        at the same time!