On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Felix Kühling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I submitted another message about this yesterday. It didn't show up in
> the SourceForge archive and you didn't refer to it, so I'm submitting it
> again:

> [Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> > These messages are harmless unless one of the unresolved symbols is
> > referenced, which shouldn't happen when DRI is disabled. And even if one
> > of them was referenced, that would cause a server crash and not a
> > lockup. (Unless the crash causes a lockup...)
>
> I had a closer look at this. I get a lockup when I run the Xserver
> without DRI after switching from a 2D accelerated XFree86 4.1 server to
> the text console. If DRI is loaded there is no problem. If I start the
> Mach64-Xserver after a reboot and without DRI there is no problem
> either.
>
> I guess this means that the 3D driver puts the card in some state that
> the 2D driver relies on and the old Xserver messes it up.

Since the dri branch driver works on it's own without dri enabled, I don't
see how it could be a 3D driver dependency.  Unless I'm not understanding
you, the problem is with two 2D drivers without dri enabled on either.
Maybe it's a bad interaction between xfree 4.1 and 4.2? I just tried
starting a 4.2 based gatos driver, then switching to a text console and
starting the dri branch driver with dri disabled.  I can switch back and
forth between them and to a text console without a lockup.  I don't have a
4.1 server anymore so I can't test that.

> Maybe it's again a problem with the FIFO size. Just a guess.

This shouldn't be a problem when dri isn't enabled.

> Anyway, I think I'll switch to the new accelerated server as you
> proposed. It seems that I'm just asking for trouble with my current
> config :)

ok.  I'm still curious about what the problem is, though.  How recent is
the dri branch build you're using?  Is the 4.1 server a vanilla xfree
release or a gatos driver?

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net