On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 13:48:02 -0400 (EDT)
Leif Delgass <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]
> > I had a closer look at this. I get a lockup when I run the Xserver
> > without DRI after switching from a 2D accelerated XFree86 4.1 server to
> > the text console. If DRI is loaded there is no problem. If I start the
> > Mach64-Xserver after a reboot and without DRI there is no problem
> > either.
> >
> > I guess this means that the 3D driver puts the card in some state that
> > the 2D driver relies on and the old Xserver messes it up.
>
> Since the dri branch driver works on it's own without dri enabled, I don't
> see how it could be a 3D driver dependency.  Unless I'm not understanding
> you, the problem is with two 2D drivers without dri enabled on either.

What I mean is that the problem does not occur when I start the new
Xserver with DRI. So I concluded that the 3D driver does something that
prevents the problem from happening that the 2D driver should better do
himself. But when I think about it again it could also be the 2D
acceleration which is disabled when DRI is loaded. So 4.2 2D accel locks
up when 4.1 2D accel has been running just before.

> Maybe it's a bad interaction between xfree 4.1 and 4.2? I just tried

Yes, definitely.

> starting a 4.2 based gatos driver, then switching to a text console and
> starting the dri branch driver with dri disabled.  I can switch back and
> forth between them and to a text console without a lockup.  I don't have a
> 4.1 server anymore so I can't test that.

> > Maybe it's again a problem with the FIFO size. Just a guess.
>
> This shouldn't be a problem when dri isn't enabled.

Ok, it's probably 2D acceleration.

> > Anyway, I think I'll switch to the new accelerated server as you
> > proposed. It seems that I'm just asking for trouble with my current
> > config :)
>
> ok.  I'm still curious about what the problem is, though.  How recent is
> the dri branch build you're using?  Is the 4.1 server a vanilla xfree
> release or a gatos driver?

This is the start of the server output:

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and patches submitted
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 21 December 2001
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.17 i686 [ELF]

It's the one that comes with Debian Woody. I wouldn't take any bets on
how vanilla that is. Unfortunately there is no XFree86 4.2 in Debian,
not even in unstable.

Regards,
   Felix

__Tschüß_______\_6 6_/___/__ \___/__ \___/___\___You can do anything,___
_____Felix_______\Ä/\ \_____\ \_____\ \______U___just not everything____
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    >o<__/   \___/   \___/        at the same time!