Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 22:24, Jens Owen wrote:
>
>>Hi Eric,
>>
>>How is the OS indepedence project coming?  I wanted to make the IRC mtg
>>today and get some consensus for merging your stuff in, but I had a
>>schedule conflict.
>>
>>What do you think still needs to be done before merging your work onto
>>the DRI trunk?
>>
>>I definitely think your work is absolutely what the DRI needs for good
>>cross-OS support.  I'd like to hear from other developers if there is a
>>concern about making this merge relatively soon.
>>

> I also missed the meeting, was working outside.
>
> I feel ready, because I'm pretty confident that it has far surpassed
> FreeBSD's DRM in capabilities (pcigart, tcl), stability/correctness
> (eliminated some long-standing crashes), and speed (mtrr code sped up
> several cards significantly), and as far as I've been able to tell had
> no effect on Linux.  Granted, my testing of Linux has been limited to
> glxgears so far, but I'm not expecting surprises.  It will also open up
> the branch for more NetBSD work to happen (I've resisted some of reide's
> diffs because I wanted to focus on getting this merged).
>
> Concerns at this point:
> - I'm still noticing some problems with my Radeon 7500 with DRI (the
> last lockup was dragging a glxgears around on top of another one).
> There has been talk of 7500 issues, though.
> - clipping issues on r128.  r128 I know has problems on linux anyway.
> - one user I was talking with said he had glxgears above 2000fps (was it
> 2600?) on a 1700xp and radeon 7500 with 4.2.0/drm-kmod and it dropped to
> 1900 with bsd-3-0-0-branch.

I wouldn't necessarily blame bsd-3-0-0 for that -- there have been major
changes to the radeon driver since 4.2 -- if he could retest against the trunk
that would be more interesting.

In any case I'm not too concerned about gears performance, it rarely reflects
anything interesting.

> I'm mostly concerned with that last point, but I still don't think it
> should stop a merge.  As a side note, I would prefer to see someone else
> commit the actual merge if possible, because I don't feel proficient
> enough with CVS yet.

It isn't too hard -- the CVS policies document on dri.sf.net gives a very good
step-by-step guide to this.  Just test where it says to test...  Read it & see
if you're still unsure.

Keith