> That hasn't happened (accepted and moved) so I haven't asked. <hint>

I think there is two problems here ...

1. Since this is an open-source project there is no single person to
approve the website. Basically I don't think you will get 'approval'
from the group as a whole until your new site has some major advantage
that everyone is going to get excited about. Apparently right now this
is not the case, either because nobody cares about the changes you are
trying to make -or- because you haven't achieved those proposed changes
in your site update ...

2. The main problem Ian Molton and you seem to have with the current
site is that content is hard to find. That is probably a good point, but
I think the way you have reorganized the content is even worse.

I am looking at the your site update right now and every page is very
long, with a multitude of things on a page - many of which don't really
seem to be related. For example, on the downloads page "IRC Meeting
Logs" and "Binary Snapshots". Also, since the pages are very long it is
hard to see what you can find on a page.

Have you considered adding a horizontal line of content links to the top
of the page? One link to an anchor for each major item on the page.

I believe adding such a "contents link line" to the current site would
make it much easier to navigate. For example on the current "Help & FAQ"
page there could be a line right below the title, with links to "FAQ -
Report Bugs - Mailing Lists". This makes it immediately obvious to
anyone what they can find on that page, without having to scoll and
potentially miss things.

Removing the frames from the current page is also a no-brainer since the
top and bottom links line for all major pages already exists. It is also
easy to update those links if they change since they are inserted by a
PHP header/footer function for each page.

A few other things I can think of to change in the current site are:

 - make the PHP dri_header function output all HTML headers and the
actual page title that is user visible. It doesn't do the latter right
now cause I was being stupid.

 - put the "What is the DRI" text from the "About DRI" page on the home
page. Remove the "About DRI" page and the existing junk on the home
page.

 - combine the Resources and Downloads pages into one "Downloads" page
with sections "Binary Packages", "Kernel Modules", "Config Files",
"Other Libraries and Utilities" Thereby remove the old kernel module
sources from the new page.

 - add a new "Contribute" or "Developer" page that includes our call for
developers from the "Status" page (remove that from the Status page), a
link to the developer FAQ and our mailing lists, link to IRC meeting
times and logs, links to the developer sections of the "Documentation"
page.

- remove the "Report Problems" stuff from the Help & FAQ page since we
don't use the SF.net bugtracker anyway.

- add the "content links line" to each of these new pages.

- remove the frames (if people really dislike them that much)

In the end this leaves us with these pages:

1. Home - with the "About DRI" text, a nice intro to the project
2. Status - the status of the hardware we support
3. Downloads - downloads of drivers, kernel modules, and other files
4. Documentation - all of our documentation for developers and end users
5. Contribute - information useful to developers
6. Help & FAQ - the FAQ and links to the mailing lists and archives
7. Project - link to the project page

Ok. What do you think about that? How about changing the existing page
instead of reinventing the wheel?

In the time I wrote this email I could have probably done a fair bit of
that work myself, but I don't have time to continuously maintain the
site. It would be nice for someone to finally take over and after making
those changes actively maintain the site and add some other cool
features.

I would also recommend that you work together with Nick Leippe.

Cheers,

- Frank