On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> Sounds like you aren't getting irq's, for some reason, and it is falling back
> to busy waiting.
>
> The question is why aren't you getting irq's?

Keith, are you even asking the kernel to look up (and possibly enable) the
irq for you?

The magic word isn't "please", it's "pci_enable_device(dev)", which will
check that all resources are allocated and enabled, including things like
trying to route irq's using the PIRQ table (or ACPI, or whatever).

Doing a quick grep through the drm stuff doesn't show a single caller..

Btw, I'd like to also point out that some of DRI PCI bus handling seems
fundamentally broken. Like the notion that you can specify the device by
bus number, device and fn. Those days are past, I'm afraid, and were never
true on some other platforms. It can be a much more complicated tree, with
multiple independent PCI segments. You don't see that yet on regular PC's,
but get ready (and X in general should probably stop thinking that it can
do things like PCI configuration from user space).

                Linus