On Son, 2002-11-03 at 18:47, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 15 o'clock on Nov 3, Michel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=E4nzer?= wrote:
>
> > Oh, and are there any opinions about the signal to use, SIGALRM or
> > something else?
>
> You'll have to make it settable -- SIGALRM is already used by the X server
> for scheduling.  Of course, we could eliminate that if I could get the
> current time of day mapped into the X server address space :-)

Okay, is there anything wrong with turning the struct for the ioctl into
a union of a request and a reply struct? :)

> > > * The interface needs to provide a vblank counter, so the user can easily
> > >   detect dropped vblanks.
> >
> > Has been there from day 1. I wonder what to do about this for the signal
> > though, put the sequence number into the siginfo (is that possible?), or
> > is the information you get back from the ioctl enough?
>
> It would be nice to get it without another syscall; there's certainly
> enough space in the siginfo to pass it along.  I assume you'd pass along
> the current counter value and not some kind of delta.

Yes. The blocking ioctl also returns a timestamp, is that important for
the signal?

Oh, and BTW, is it okay for the ioctl to trigger a single signal, or
would it have to generate signals indefinitely?