On Son, 2002-11-03 at 23:46, Elladan wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 03:00:53PM +0100, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > On Son, 2002-11-03 at 06:17, Elladan wrote:
> > >
> > > It might be best to provide both interfaces.  It's probably not
> > > significantly harder to provide both API's - they both trigger off the
> > > same hardware event.
> >
> > Yes, I'm looking into adding a flag to the ioctl so it sends a signal
> > instead of blocking. Shouln't be too hard, but I haven't found out yet
> > whether a signal can be delivered from an interrupt top half, if anyone
> > knows I'd appreciate letting me know before I find out the hard way. :)

[...]

> And no, I don't think a signal can possibly be delivered in the top
> half, by the way.  It's going to get delayed by the userspace transition
> just as much as a blocking system call would (probably more), so mostly
> I think it's just a tool for single-threaded apps to handle vblanks.  I

Yeah, I didn't mean that but simply whether a top half can call something
like deliver_signal() and then the signal gets delivered the next time the
process is scheduled. But maybe it's better to use a bottom half anyway.

I think most of the other points you raise would probably better be handled
by driver specific extensions but are most definitely beyond the scope of
what we're trying to achieve here.

> It would be preferable in general for video apps, though, to provide a
> DRM-based api to use the overlay buffer, too.  Like, a DRM-Xv.  For
> desktop use, the X11 context switch may be fairly acceptable with
> something like XSYNC, but to achieve really excellent quality (eg,
> suitable for output to a TV/broadcast/etc.) in, say, a video player, a
> direct API would be nicer.

If I'm not mistaken that's what XvMC is for.