On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 04:54:15PM +0100, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> On Son, 2002-11-03 at 23:46, Elladan wrote:

> > > Yes, I'm looking into adding a flag to the ioctl so it sends a signal
> > > instead of blocking. Shouln't be too hard, but I haven't found out yet
> > > whether a signal can be delivered from an interrupt top half, if anyone
> > > knows I'd appreciate letting me know before I find out the hard way. :)
>
> [...]
>
> > And no, I don't think a signal can possibly be delivered in the top
> > half, by the way.  It's going to get delayed by the userspace transition
> > just as much as a blocking system call would (probably more), so mostly
> > I think it's just a tool for single-threaded apps to handle vblanks.  I
>
> Yeah, I didn't mean that but simply whether a top half can call something
> like deliver_signal() and then the signal gets delivered the next time the
> process is scheduled. But maybe it's better to use a bottom half anyway.

Um, well, yeah.  The bottom half is going to get run before the kernel
returns to userspace.  :-)

> I think most of the other points you raise would probably better be handled
> by driver specific extensions but are most definitely beyond the scope of
> what we're trying to achieve here.

Well, perhaps.  Being able to latch a buffer swap onto the interrupt is
a more useful kernel API issue, since if it's possible, you want your
apps to be able to use it.  For the reasons I mentioned previously, just
being able to block on the vblank will only really be sufficient for
suid root apps.

> > It would be preferable in general for video apps, though, to provide a
> > DRM-based api to use the overlay buffer, too.  Like, a DRM-Xv.  For
> > desktop use, the X11 context switch may be fairly acceptable with
> > something like XSYNC, but to achieve really excellent quality (eg,
> > suitable for output to a TV/broadcast/etc.) in, say, a video player, a
> > direct API would be nicer.
>
> If I'm not mistaken that's what XvMC is for.

It doesn't appear to be.  Providing such a thing, as well as some sort
of way for a user app to synchronize on the vblank usefully without
special privileges, would allow for much better video quality than Linux
generally provides currently (except through some special
driver-specific hacks, of course).

-J