On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 10:32:50AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, magenta wrote:
> > >
> > > Ugh.  The internalFormat is itself a hint.  If the programmer cares about
> > > how much storage is used or the quality, he/she should use GL_RGB4, GL_RGB8,
> > > GL_RGB16, etc.
> >
> > Oh yeah.  Heh.
>
> Oh, NO! No "Heh".
>
> The whole argument about "if the programmer cares about .." is totally
> bogus. It's not the programmer preferences that matter. It's the _user_
> who matters, and that's the whole point of having environment variables.

Right, and that's a different issue to what I was saying "Oh yeah" about.
Brian was just saying that there's no need for a glHint() to specify
default texture formats because that's already provided in the glTexture
API.

User preferences are an entirely different matter.  I totally agree that
the user should be able to override default behaviors, but environment
variables are such a crappy way of doing this.  IMO it should go into a DRI
configuration file which could be managed by a GUI tool (or vi or emacs,
naturally) and which would allow quick "theme" settings, perhaps based on
the value of argv[0] or something (to allow for per-program control).

--
http://trikuare.cx