On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 11:29:34AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, magenta wrote:
> >
> > User preferences are an entirely different matter.  I totally agree that
> > the user should be able to override default behaviors, but environment
> > variables are such a crappy way of doing this.
>
> Why? Environment variables are in many ways more powerful than config
> files, and can be equally easily edited (think of your ".bashrc" as the
> config file for environment variables).

Because it can get pretty unwieldy, and you end up needing to write a bunch
of wrapper scripts in order to configure each individual application.  By
having, for example, ~/.dri/default for the default configuration and
~/.dri/linuxq3 and ~/.dri/armagetron and so on for per-application
overrides, it makes things a hell of a lot easier for the user.

> I agree that using _bare_ environment variables is nasty, and nobody
> should need to do
>
>       export GL_TEXTURE_DEPTH=32
>
> by hand before starting a program. You clearly want to have the equivalent
> of a .bashrc file that contains your defaults and that contains comments
> about what the different settings do, but once you have that, environment
> variables are actually very convenient because they allow you to make
> truly local modifications. They are also often much more efficient and
> easier to use than config files (ie "just say no to another config file
> parser").

How do environment variables make anything easier?  They still have to be
set by something, be it a launcher or a wrapper script or whatever.  Which
means that each application needs to either be launched from something
(bad), or needs to have specific support to launch itself from a common
wrapper script (even worse).  Unless I'm missing something.

> For an example of a well-done configuration option (in my opinion, your
> milage may vary), look at QT_XFT usage in KDE/QT. You have a pretty
> graphical interface for setting the option, but you can always override it
> on a local basis too. Most users aren't even aware of it as a environment
> variable.

But those are environment variables which are set by the GUI shell
(specifically KDE), no?  That's unfair against users who don't want to run
everything from a particular GUI.  Then again, I'm biased, being one of
those users...

--
http://trikuare.cx