On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 21:01, D. Hageman wrote:
> easy ... enough said on that.  *If* a system is going to be more user
> friendly, then configuration files (text based) are the way to go.  My

Not really

> options based on that.  A GUI tool that could easily edit this file should
> be the ultimate goal (or maybe this should be left up to the appropriate
> desktop environment *vendors*).

The GUI tool is an extra

The first 99% of the users expect it to work out of the box and don't
care about tuning
The next 0.9% use the GUI
The next 0.09% might use the text file
Hacker types will use the environment variables, as will people with
specific tricky cases

Really the GUI needs to be simple too (at least the basic screen)

        <>  High Quality
        <>  Gaming (fastest)

type stuff and maybe just about a

        [ ] String standards compliance