Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Andy Ross wrote:
> > Is it possible [...] to get the client-side libGL to look somethere
> > *other* that /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri for drivers?
>
> It's LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH

Perfect.  Thanks.

> > You also don't exhibit a texture border bug that the ATI drivers
> > have
>
> We fallback on some texture border cases.

Not this one, I suspect.  The runway markings are built up of tiled
quads, drawing the whole texture into each quad.  This makes up
probably 20-30% of the screen pixels at startup; if you were rendering
them in software I'm sure it would be noticeable.

Actually, I'm fuzzy on the spec here.  The DRI (and NVidia) drivers
appear to *not* sample the texture border color by default when
drawing quads with texture coordinates of exactly 1 and 0.  The ATI
ones seem to do so, which results in a dark stripe between tiles
(FlightGear doesn't bother to set the border color and leaves it as
black).  Problem is, my cursory reading of the spec says that ATI is
right and the rest of the world (!) is wrong, even though that would
make life hell for people who simply want to build up tiled images and
don't care (much) about border artifacts.  What's the truth?

> > There are sporadic rendering bugs in FlightGear, however.  Every ~40
> > frames or so, I'll see a large triangle or two flash on the screen.
>
> How recent is this driver?  I fixed some problems like that a week or
> two ago.

It's CVS from the trunk as of yestserday afternoon.  Should I be using
a different branch?

> > I'm also seeing some stability trouble in FlightGear.
>
> These sorts of bugs are basically impossible to debug remotely.
> Unless you're willing to dig into the driver yourself, or at least
> figure out a way to easily reproduce the problem in a (much) less
> complicated program than flightgear, or convince someone to spend *a
> lot* of time working through it with you, it won't get fixed.  Try
> and narrow the behaviour down.

Yeah, this was mostly a shot in the dark.  I was hoping someone could
chime in with a note like "you need to enable the whizgig when running
on your hardware version" or "check the foozle to see what lock the
server is waiting on", etc...  I'll take a closer look.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA