On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:04:18PM -0800, Andy Ross wrote:
> Keith Whitwell wrote:
> > Andy Ross wrote:
> > > Is it possible [...] to get the client-side libGL to look somethere
> > > *other* that /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri for drivers?
> >
> > It's LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
>
> Perfect.  Thanks.
>
> > > You also don't exhibit a texture border bug that the ATI drivers
> > > have
> >
> > We fallback on some texture border cases.
>
> Not this one, I suspect.  The runway markings are built up of tiled
> quads, drawing the whole texture into each quad.  This makes up
> probably 20-30% of the screen pixels at startup; if you were rendering
> them in software I'm sure it would be noticeable.
>
> Actually, I'm fuzzy on the spec here.  The DRI (and NVidia) drivers
> appear to *not* sample the texture border color by default when
> drawing quads with texture coordinates of exactly 1 and 0.  The ATI
> ones seem to do so, which results in a dark stripe between tiles
> (FlightGear doesn't bother to set the border color and leaves it as
> black).  Problem is, my cursory reading of the spec says that ATI is
> right and the rest of the world (!) is wrong, even though that would
> make life hell for people who simply want to build up tiled images and
> don't care (much) about border artifacts.  What's the truth?

Software Mesa does this (correct) behavior too.  You're supposed to either
use GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE or a texture border if you don't want the border color
to be factored into the texture filtering.  GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE is a lot
easier to implement in hardware (and it follows the semantics of DirectX
teture clamping), though, so I'd suspect that most GL drivers cheat and
just do CLAMP_TO_EDGE instead.

Personally, I don't know why SGI put in the texture border color to begin
with... it seems horribly counterintuitive, and not all that useful.

--
http://trikuare.cx