On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Ian Romanick wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:59:24AM -0800, Andy Ross wrote:
> > And there is no one involved with DRI with assets to
> > pay such an award anyway.
>
> Except all the distros.

I think that even wilful patent infringement only means "triple damages"
(plus lawyers fees, but that doesn't "help" the company that sues).

And since DRI support for S3TC is likely to _help_ (or at least not
hinder) hardware companies to sell more hardware, I don't see what the
damages would be all about.

As far as I can tell, the whole S3TC patent thing only makes sense as a
way to make other graphics chip vendors license the technology, not as a
weapon against software projects. That's _regardless_ of whether they have
money or not.

                        Linus