Am Freitag, 17. Januar 2003 08:42 schrieb magenta:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:03:21PM -0800, Allen Akin wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:16:30PM -0800, magenta wrote:
> > | Should it even be possible for one process to swap out other processes'
> > | context data?
> >
> > In the same way that one process can cause the ordinary memory pages of
> > another process to be swapped out, I'd say "yes."

[-]

> Heh, I had another thought which seems perversely sick and wrong, yet oh so
> right: make video memory get treated as normal memory pages, and just
> migrate stuff into those pages when it's needed.  Then when video memory
> isn't in use, the kernel could migrate other stuff into video RAM.  Unified
> memory for all! :)

Sorry, but I think this _is_ perversely sick and wrong ;-)

Remember what all goes on in *BSD and Linux to get all out of the "real"
memory performance e.g. memcopy and friends.
Have a closer look, here:

[CFT] faster athlon/duron memory copy implementation
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103548024914815&w=2

So if you have to few memory buy some modules.

Regards,
        Dieter