On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:42:31PM -0800, magenta wrote:
| I'd personally take the school of thought that if the user is running a
| game which takes up 60MB of texture memory and then tries to concurrently
| launch something which takes up another 60MB of texture memory, it's their
| own fault that the other thing can only get 20MB. :)

That's perfectly reasonable behavior on a game console, or on some
special-purpose systems (like avionics).  For a general-purpose desktop,
it's nice to virtualize texture memory.  That way everything continues
to run (though it may be slow), just like with ordinary user processes.

OpenGL certainly needs to give apps more control over memory management.
There have been some proposals and extensions for that in the past, and
the GL2 working-group is planning new ones for the future.

Allen