I could reproduce your X lockups with my Radeon 7500 by disabling TCL
(RADEON_TCL_FORCE_DISABLE=1) which is as close as I can get to your
Radeon VE. I don't use the dri_resume patch. From your telling that it
helped to kill the offending GL app it sounds like the GL app gets stuck
somewhere while holding the lock. It would be helpful to know where
exactly that is. Unfortunately I don't have a second system at hand to
log in remotely from.

Could you reproduce a lockup with a GL app running in a remote debugger
session. When the system is locked up you press Ctrl+C in the debugger,
get backtrace with the "bt" command and send it to the list.
I tried to do this from a remote machine and locally, and both times, I get errors like:

$ gdb
GNU gdb 5.0
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-slackware-linux".
(gdb) exec-file /usr/local/lib/xscreensaver/endgame
(gdb) set args -display :0
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/lib/xscreensaver/endgame -display :0
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
warning: shared library handler failed to enable breakpoint

Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
0x404fc600 in ?? ()
(gdb) quit
The program is running. Exit anyway? (y or n) y
$

A window is created for the hack to run, but nothing ever appears.

It appears to me that I need to compile endgame (and/or other GL hacks) with debugging information. I don't know how to do this, though. If you could direct me to some information about how I would go about it, I'd much appreciate it.

About the flickering when running endgame on the root window, I could
reproduce that too, even with TCL enabled. It looks to me like it is
using a single buffered visual in that case. Curiously this doesn't
happen when xscreensaver runs endgame on the root window.
I was reading a document later about graphics coding and it mentioned that erasing the image you wanted to move, and then redrawing it would produce flicker and the solution to this was double-buffering and it reminded me of the flickering I see when running the GL hacks. I tried, and when having xscreensaver run the hacks in the root window, I get flickering. Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks.

-Andy