Vlad Stamate wrote:
When we did the powervr.ini file structure we ported code from our Win32
drivers which used the same file structure. But Win32 offers an API to
read/write those kind of files, while for the Linux driver we had to rewrite
it from scratch. (not fun always :). But it satisfied our needs good enough.
I figured that it was probably something like that.

But if you guys decide on a format we might adhere to it since it would be
nice if we simplify our drivers by using a loadable library. Also as far as
time goes we generally cache the file in memory and we flush whenever there
is a write. But then our files are small and timing was not THAT essential.
That is VERY good news to my ears! After we have most of our stuff done, we're going to have to try to talk the various vendors of OpenGL drivers for Linux into using our system. Having one vendor tenetively agree before we even ask is nice. :)

As far as caching goes, I guess I don't understand. Does that mean that if someone changes settings while an OpenGL application is running, the changes will take effect in the running app? Will it only take effect if the app creates a new rendering context? I had always just assumed that we would take a snap-shot of the settings when the app created its first context.