From: Ian Romanick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 28 January 2003 17:22
To: DRI developer's list
Subject: Re: [Dri-devel] Configuration file format survey

Vlad Stamate wrote:
> When we did the powervr.ini file structure we ported code from our Win32
> drivers which used the same file structure. But Win32 offers an API to
> read/write those kind of files, while for the Linux driver we had to
rewrite
> it from scratch. (not fun always :). But it satisfied our needs good
enough.

I figured that it was probably something like that.

> But if you guys decide on a format we might adhere to it since it would be
> nice if we simplify our drivers by using a loadable library. Also as far
as
> time goes we generally cache the file in memory and we flush whenever
there
> is a write. But then our files are small and timing was not THAT
essential.

That is VERY good news to my ears!  After we have most of our stuff
done, we're going to have to try to talk the various vendors of OpenGL
drivers for Linux into using our system.  Having one vendor tenetively
agree before we even ask is nice. :)

As far as caching goes, I guess I don't understand.  Does that mean that
if someone changes settings while an OpenGL application is running, the
changes will take effect in the running app?  Will it only take effect
if the app creates a new rendering context?  I had always just assumed
that we would take a snap-shot of the settings when the app created its
first context.