On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 07:58:55AM -0700, Jens Owen wrote:
> A short cut to this whole thing would be to work on getting a second
> head supported on a single X11 screen.  Then 3D comes for free:
>
>   http://www.tungstengraphics.com/dri/Simple_Xinerama_DH.txt
>
> This solution provides Xinerama functionality without actually using the
> Xinerama wrapper.

Mmm, i am curious about this, how does it get handled in the XFree86
configuration file. Also, i guess this would facilitate the memory
management in dual head configurations.

In general, dual head configuration is pretty poor in the current X
server, at least in the documented part. There is no way from specifying
mirrored or zoomed window output, or to be able to change the
configuration dynamically, but this would probably not be achievable
without an extension, or maybe incorporated with the RandR stuff.

I think that matrox did something such in their proprietary drivers.

Friendly,

Sven Luther