On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 08:35:13AM -0700, Jens Owen wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 07:58:55AM -0700, Jens Owen wrote:
> >
> >>A short cut to this whole thing would be to work on getting a second
> >>head supported on a single X11 screen.  Then 3D comes for free:
> >>
> >> http://www.tungstengraphics.com/dri/Simple_Xinerama_DH.txt
> >>
> >>This solution provides Xinerama functionality without actually using the
> >>Xinerama wrapper.
> >

> >Mmm, i am curious about this, how does it get handled in the XFree86
> >configuration file.
>
> Possibly by adding a secondary monitor line to the "screens" section.

Yes, sure, but this cannot do anything like miroring or windows zooming,
only standard static dual head.

> >Also, i guess this would facilitate the memory
> >management in dual head configurations.
>
> Yes, the driver would need to handle how the memory is shared.

Yes, shared between both heads, but also between 2D and 3D, altough i
don't know how DRI handles this right now.

> >In general, dual head configuration is pretty poor in the current X
> >server, at least in the documented part. There is no way from specifying
> >mirrored or zoomed window output, or to be able to change the
> >configuration dynamically, but this would probably not be achievable
> >without an extension, or maybe incorporated with the RandR stuff.
>
> If you want things to be dynamic, you will need to stay away from X's
> notion of a second X11 screen.  That's is static and persistant by
> definition.  However, a secondary "monitor" to the primary screen could
> be as dynamic as you want to make it.

Mmm, but you would need a fixed screen stride that is the sum of both
heads, or something such. I guess using a virtual screen is the way to
go, but there may be problems with regard to how apps (in particular
desktop managers) handle it, i guess.

> >I think that matrox did something such in their proprietary drivers.
>
> There are other proprietary drivers that have also done similar
> functionality.  However, I haven't seen anything in open source.

Mmm, i would be interested in working on this, need to find some time
though. Are there other people whow are interested in this also ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther