On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Philip Brown wrote:

>> If 3D isn't important to a desktop, then why are my
>> windows stacked on top of each other? Why do my
>> buttons depress and my windows look like they have
>> raised borders? Edit boxes have shadows and menus look
>> like they raise when the mouse if over them. Right now
>> we are going through a lot of effort to simulate 3D.
>
>I'm using fvwm. The borders are simulated 3d using very LITTLE effort.
>Having it done through opengl would probably increase the amount of
>complexity and whatnot considerably, I would guess.
>Sure, I could have smooth color gradients, fading, even animated borders...
>but I dont WANT them. That distracts me from what's actually going on in
>the window itself. I could care less about the borders.

That's not a problem either.  It just means that you are one of
the people who would continue to use fvwm.  Other people, having
different individual preferences may however differ with what
they would like to have.

I too am somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to eye candy in
the GUI, but I realize and understand the importance of eye
candy to the masses of computer users out there.  If someone
wants to got ahead and implement those features, sobeit.  None of
us have to use them if we don't want to.  It at least provides
those who do want them, with the opportunity to have them.