On Fre, 2003-02-28 at 17:02, Jon Smirl wrote:
> --- Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > It would be simple to lift the mode setting and
> > > hardware identification code out of the fb drivers
> >
> > But what would be the advantage over leaving it as a
> > framebuffer device
> > or whatever in the first place?
> >
> The X philosophy is to ship a complete system for all
> supported OS's. Moving the code from framebuffer to
> DRM would remove the requirement for framebuffer to be
> loaded.
>
> I haven't look at this but if the DRM modules know
> about setting up the hardware and changing resolutions
> then there may be no need for framebuffer any more.
> You could write a generic framebuffer driver that was
> implemented in terms of the DRM interface. But this
> wasn't part of the intial idea.

But what's the point, instead of simply using the framebuffer device,
which has been established and is needed for console on many
architectures? *shrug* I could see the DRM providing a wrapper interface
for a framebuffer device, or other ways of cooperation between the two,
but this seems a strange idea. Maybe that's just me though.