Sven Luther wrote:
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:01:22PM -0800, Jon Smirl wrote:

--- Sven Luther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Notice that the DRI drivers don't do anything like
mode setting and
such, they depend on the X drivers for that. So if
you take away the X
driver, you will not be able to get anything
outputed on your monitor.
Unless you use the fbdev drivers for example.

It would be simple to lift the mode setting and
hardware identification code out of the fb drivers and
add it to the DRM kernel driver. If you were still
using the 2D drivers the new code in DRM would just be
ignored.

Sure, there was a proposal to merge the fbdev and drm drivers, but the
DRI people did not like it. One of the reasons being that fbdev is linux
specific and the drm builds for more than 1 os, if i remember well.

I never heard it discussed. Now that acceleration seems to be an expanding part of fbdev, it makes a bit more sense. My feeling is that fbdev is even more people-starved than the dri, though. It's pretty unstable at the moment, too.

There is also DirectFB, which sits on top of fbdev, and has an X server
running on top of it, Not DRI enabled i think though.

I've seen their website -- it's an interesting project. I haven't built it yet, though.

[snip]

Keith