On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Philip Brown wrote:

>> > I just noticed that in drivers/ati, every single function related to DRI
>> > initialization,etc. is named RADEONDRIXxxxYyyy ... except
>> > RADEONPreInitDRI()
>> >
>> > Here's a patch to fix that, and R128PreInitDRI()
>>
>> This change doesn't seem obvious to me; the RADEONDRIxxx() functions are
>> in radeon_dri.c and directly related to the DRI, whereas
>> RADEONPreInitDRI() (along with other RADEONPreInitxxx() functions) is in
>> radeon_driver.c
>

>Maybe it belongs in radeon_dri.c, then? Coincidence of current location,
>should not be a reason for avoiding logical naming and grouping.
>If you like, I'll submit patches for doing the move AND rename.
>

>> and mainly processes the DRI related driver options.
>
>Consistency is a Good Thing.
>
>It is nice and easy to do "grep RADEONDRI tags" to get a list of all
>DRI-related functions for radeon.
>
>[The fact that you can get more complicated with "grep RADEON | grep DRI"
>  should not excuse the lack of consistency in naming]
>

>So RADEONPreInitDRI() doesnt actually do any rendering; So what.
>It is still "DRI related".

I think you're looking at function naming from a point of view of
"what all functions contain the 3 letters 'DRI' grouped together
in the function name" and wanting to change the name of
RADEONPreInitDRI() because it doesn't match the others, rather
than looking at the logical grouping of where the function exists
now.

I agree with Michel and think it is properly named as is, and in
the proper location.

What is the function classification based on?  Is it based on
performing a PreInit operation, or is it a DRI function that does
preinit?  I see it as the former as it is called from
RadeonPreInit.

IMHO, the names of functions and the file they are located in
should be based on the functionality that they are providing, and
should be grouped based on similar functionality and not based on
similarities in portions of their names.