On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 10:57:36AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

 > >                             (In fact the agpgart code
 > > really doesn't handle this concept at all due to the extensive usage
 > > of aperture type macros/typedefs).
 >
 > Why _is_ that AGP code using those silly thing in the first place?
 >
 > I actually looked at writing an AGP subdriver without using any of the
 > common AGP infrastructure (just writing the "insert_entries()" and
 > "remove_entries()" functions directly, without caring about those broken
 > AGP "generic helper functions") and it looked _simpler_ than much of the
 > crap that is there now.
 >
 > It's sad when the helper functions end up being more bother than help.

I'd toyed with the idea of nuking those, but as we were getting closer
to 2.6, I figured it was time to slow down. If you feel the gain is
worth it, I'll tackle it sometime, but to be honest, it seems that
in the next year or so, AGP will likely be phased out in favour of
PCI express anyway, so I'm not convinced that agpgart really has much
of a future past the next 12 months.

                Dave