> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> > And we will throw out all our existing hardware and run buying
> > PCI-Express enabled ones, right ?
>
> Yeah, no, I don't believe it. Hardware infrastructure has incredible
> staying power. See how even ISA has only been _really_ dying in the last
> two years (and it still exists in the form of 16-bit pcmcia).
>
> It takes a long time to displace a successful system bus. I think PCI and
> AGP might go away faster than some, if only because a lot of people are
> happy without any expansion cards what-so-ever these days (most things
> come on the motherboard). But even so it's certainly a few years away.

Is it not at all possible that while they may not do away with the slot
and bus in any quick way, they would stop creating weird and wonderful
new ways of handling them?

At least the Linux modules that deal with it would stabilise for all the
people who already have those buses, then while you all dealt with the
weird and wonderful new ways of handling PCI-Express :)

--
Matt Sealey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>