I have something to add to this.  Recently I tested gatos drivers going from dri to
gatos was
painless.  However when I went back my computer locked up.  I sent a report off to
gatos of my
findings.  If it's helpfull I could try a gatos to fglrx and back to see if there are
any lockups.
 Would there be any use in a merge of gatos init to dri or are thay just too diffrent?