I just wanted to let every body know where this sat.  Unfortunately I will not have
time to work
on it much this moth, I have to get my bills straightened ought.  I did look into it
and found
that gatos and latest DRI are vary different I would recommend finding an
older(2003/02/25 is the
Xfree86 date in radeon_driver.c) copy of DRI and see if there is a smaller change set.
 I was
looking at a unified diff /w 42000+ lines.  From the gatos web page I can only find
Xdrivers and a
kernel mod, and no GLlib.