Alex Deucher wrote:
--- Michel D�nzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The difference is that the 2D engine is only used by the X server,
whereas the 3D engine is used by every 3D client, and the 3D driver
still assumes that the locations of the front, back and depth buffers
never change for a context. And that's just one of many problems with
Xinerama.

good point. I tend to think client/server by default since I'm used to the 2D. If we got HW accelerated indirect rendering working, then this should work since everything would go through the X server right?

Only if direct rendering was disabled. If HW accelerated indirect rendering were working you'd just have another client trying to use the hardware. :)

What about having independant front, back and depth buffers per head?

That wouldn't solve the problem Michel is refering to. If you have two separete back / depth buffers (one for each head), when a window is moved from one head to the other it's buffer locations would change. Right now DRI drivers can't handle that.

In the long term, this is something that needs to be fixed. Ideally we'd like to have back / depth buffers allocated per-drawable (instead of having a single set allocated staticly). Doing this would require that drivers support the back / depth buffers changing location. Each time a window was resized the back / depth buffers would have to resize, which could cause there location to change (think calling realloc()).