--- Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:10:05 -0700 (PDT)
> Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > you need to change the DRI config settings:
> >
> > http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/ConfigurationInfrastructure
> >
> > perhaps we shouldn't make sync to refresh the default.
>
> IIRC there was a similar discussion after the texmem-0-0-1 merge. I was
> hoping that a well defined configuration system would finally allow us
> to make the default comply with the spec. The default setting should not
> affect the frame rate if it was below the vertical refresh rate without
> vsyncing. Only for benchmarks it is useful to disable vsync. For
> everyday work/game play you never need more than 75 or 80 Hz, do you?
>

> > Alex
>
> Regards,
>   Felix

There may be allot I don't know about OpenGL, but I do know video games.  In games you
want to
hear/see the latesed info about game state that exists, this adds(subtracts) to your
hand eye
cordination(Things like network anticipation are great).  You also want what you hear
to be
synched with what you see. It's important for these 2 reasons that OpenGL allways
present the user
with the most current data.

The way things should work is...
The card tells the game when the NEXT vsync should happen, deduced by Current +
RefreshRate. Then
the game should predict what things will look like and send that to the card to be
rendered.

However things AFAICG work...
The game renderes as many FPS as the card can and the card draws the last one to the
sceen.  Maby
not the best way but the most feasable with what(drivers) we have today.

Thus synch to vblank ?may? make frames appere 1/RefreshRate of a seconds too late.
Thought for
most gamers this may be fine, I think my eyes are faster.