Allen Akin wrote:
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:57:48PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
| | I'm strongly against having sync-to-refresh as the default. I've been | there with the tdfx driver and it truely sucks.

When you're using double-buffering as it was originally intended, to
ensure a smooth transition from frame to frame, sync-to-refresh is
really the best way to go.  Seems to me that most people would want
things to work that way for standard applications.  (Games and realtime
apps need to be more sophisticated than either sync-to-refresh or no
sync.)

I don't doubt it.

Perhaps the current problem is people just that people are using gears
as a benchmark?  That could easily be solved by writing a
self-calibrating benchmark and promoting its use instead of gears.

Yes, or perhaps modifying gears to turn sync-to-refresh off -- I think Ian may already have done this.

Ideally, every application would control this explicitly and anything sophisticated or that purported to be a benchmark would turn sync-to-refresh off.

As it stands, that's not the case. We don't distribute gears or any other benchmark programs in our downloadables (though I guess we could). The body of applications that people do use to "sanity" benchmark these applications is already in place.

We probably only hear from one in ten or one in a hundred users who fire up gears with the new driver and get something running at 1/5th the pace of software rasterization.

Dealing with that small fraction of complaints is a big burden on the small number of people actively working on the drivers or posting on the list.

It just doesn't seem important enough of an issue to burn that large a percentage of our resources on, and even then only reach a fraction of those affected. I don't really feel that there is a reward out there for taking a stand against the popular expectation that drivers will go like the blazes when supplied with a suitable application...

Keith