On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 00:51, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2003-11-25 at 20:26, Michel DÃnzer wrote:
> >       * Our drivers do something which makes newer chips perform very
> >         poorly with PCI GART, be they AGP or PCI
> >
> > The former wouldn't necessarily say anything about PCI cards, but I'm
> > not sure how to determine which it is (and what exactly the actual cause
> > is).
>
> Is there code reading from PCI space as it builds stuff or uploads
> textures. Anything that ends up doing
>

>       *pciaddr=foo
>       [blah]
>       if(x)
>               *pciaddr|=FOOFLAG;
>
> kills your performance on PCI bus.

Thanks for the idea. I can't think of any code like this offhand. Not
that this means a lot :), but it wouldn't explain the performance gap
between newer and older chips, would it?

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer