> It's pretty much guaranteed that anybody who has a modern
> graphics card has already been licensed for the patent,
> since the hw manufacturers would have done so already.

FWIW, for the longest time SiS (now XGI) didn't have S3TC support for their
Xabre Windows OpenGL drivers though supported it via DirectX/Direct3D. I
guess they didn't feel like licensing the patent from a competitor.

>From the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc specification:

   WARNING:  Vendors able to support S3TC texture
   compression in Direct3D drivers do not necessarily
   have the right to use the same functionality in
   OpenGL.

> Once you do that, the software doesn't actually do anything that was
> patented. It's all in the hardware.

I believe exposing the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc and
GL_ARB_texture_compression extensions implies the driver to handle S3TC
compression as an application can pass in uncompressed data, ask the driver
to compress it and then retrieve the compressed data.

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.