On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> Of course there are also advantages to _not_ using the file-per-kernel
> version scheme.

No there isn't.

The thing is, you should keep those "file-per-OS" files as small as
possible, and only contain the things that are literally different.
Because:

>                Keeping one set of files means time is not wasted
> applying the same change to multiple variations

If the files only contain the actual differences, this just isn't an
issue. Those files are per-OS _anyway_, so regardless of how you do it
(with #ifdef's inside our outside the code etc), you'd have several
versions.

And having separate files means that you don't uglify the code for another
OS or another version and hide the _real_ issues.

But yes, it assumes that you can cleanly abstract out the differences.

                Linus