On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 12:21, Xavier Hienne wrote:
> [ I'm sorry to annoy the moderator by CCing to a list that i'm not a
> member of.

No worries, I'll deal with it one way or the other.

> Michel DÃnzer wrote:
> >
> > Kevin should be reachable via [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] . Gareth
> > posted to the dri-devel list from [EMAIL PROTECTED] a (long) while ago.
>
> The purpose was to inform them of the existence of the patch

The MAINTAINERS file in the Linux 2.6.1 source correctly mentions this
list as DRM contact.

> http://function.linuxpower.ca/patches/patch-radeon_state-radeon_cp_getparam
> that, at least, seems to solve a warning that got Stephen while
> compiling the radeon drm module. Now you know :-)

AFAICT the patch is incorrect. The purpose of that code (which seems
unused by the 'normal' DRI drivers BTW, maybe it's for some embedded
stuff?) is to return a pointer to the SAREA (shared memory area which
contains the hardware lock). The problem is that the ioctl only returns
an int - yes, the DRM code isn't 32/64 bit clean yet. :\

> X is a child of gdm, right ? Maybe X is not crashing, but gdm is,

The kernel output Stephen posted said otherwise.

> - using ltrace instead of strace - because the crash is not necessarily
> due to a system call

strace certainly isn't useful for tracking this down, but I doubt ltrace
is either. You need a debugger to track down crashes.

Thanks for your information about how to support both 64 and 32 bit
ioctls, I'm sure it'll be helpful for someone who's going to tackle
this.

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer