On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:15:30 -0600
Steve Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I downloaded and tested the savage-2-0-0 branch yesterday. This is
> on an IBM ThinkPad T23 with a SuperSavage IX/C SDR. It works really
> well! Congratulations and thanks, guys!
>
> A few notes (savage-2-0-0 branch 2/21/04):
>     - tuxracer runs great!
>     - glDrawPixels doesn't seem to work (may be copying pixels to wrong
> place -- there were hints of corruption elsewhere)
>     - glutBitmapCharacter doesn't seem to work either (calls glBitmap)
>     - Polygon and line drawing work fine.

Hmm, the driver lacks the *pixel.[ch] files that for instance the mga
driver has. The r128 driver seems to have some pixel drawing stuff in
r128_span.[ch]. Which demo did you use to test glDrawPixels and
glBitmap? I can't promise that I'll fix it very soon. If you need it
feel free to submit a patch.

>     - agpgart must be insmod'd before starting the X server.
>     - something (insmod, I think) gives a system log message
> kernel: [drm] Initialized savage 1.0.0 20011023 on minor 0: SuperSavage
> IX/C SDR
> even though this is actually savage 2.0.0 branch

That version number has nothing to do with the branch name. ATM it is
pretty meaningless. When we start moving bits into the kernel it'll
change to reflect new features and incompatibilities.

>     - On my kernel (fedora core 1 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl) I had to change in
> savage_drv.c:
> #if 0 && (LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,4,18))
>   if ( do_munmap(current->mm,cont_mem.linear,size,1)!=0)
> #else
>   if ( do_munmap(current->mm,cont_mem.linear,size)!=0)
> #endif
> #if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,4,18))
>   if ( do_munmap(current->mm,cont_mem.linear,size,1)!=0)
> #else
>   if ( do_munmap(current->mm,cont_mem.linear,size)!=0)
> #endif

Must be something about how fedora patches their kernels. I didn't need
this to build on a stock 2.4.21 kernel from kernel.org. Unless you know
a safe way to detect a fedora-patched kernel at build time I'm not going
to change it in CVS. But it's good to know in case others stumble over
the same problem.

>     - The 'make install' does not create TLS versions of libGL, so
> it is necessary under Fedora Core 1 to remove the copies of libGL in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/tls/ to prevent using the old libGL (glxinfo reports
> indirect rendering even with DRI enabled).

This should be added to the new building guide (see below) if it's not
there already.

>     - The build instructions in the Wiki (doc/DRIcompile.html) refer to
> the wrong CVS server (cvs.dri.sourceforge.net/cvsroot/dri instead of
> dri.freedesktop.org/cvs/dri) and also don't mention how to get a
> particular branch.

You found the old build instructions from pre-Wiki times. I've marked
them outdated now and referred to the new build instructions. Note that
I merged the savage driver into Mesa and DRI trunk over the weekend. You
don't need to get a branch any more.

>     - They also suggest building a new kernel, which is generally
> unnecessary these days, as well as disabling DRM in that kernel (caused
> my build of the DRI kernel modules to fail).

There have been people who complained that the build failed because they
didn't have kernel sources matching their running kernel installed. Also
a kernel source tree needs to have seen at least a "make dep", otherwise
the DRM module build would fail. Compiling their own kernel first is the
safest way to guarantee all that without worrying about particular
distributions.

>     - The build instructions claim that kernel modules are built as part
> of "make World". This doesn't seem to be the case.

The new build instructions reflect that.

> Overall, it works very, very nicely! Great work!
>       Steve

Thanks for your the feedback.

Felix