http://dri.freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/dri/

>   2. Is anyone working on accelerated 3d for newer Radeons (R300, etc) ?

Not that I know of.

>   3. Can anyone tell me what changes are required in order to enable
>      "idle" DRI for R300 and above ? (I.e. DRM module starts up, 2d
>      commands go through DRM , but Mesa driver does software rendering).

The infamous CP microcode is needed. AFAIK, Benjamin Herrenschmidt got
it from ATI.

>   4. Are there any examples of user-space applications accessing DRM, the
>      same way Mesa driver does, but (hopefully) simpler ?

I don't know of any.

>      I might have some success in figuring out CP sequences and present the
>      result as a user-space library, but I doubt I will have time to dig
>      inside Mesa.

We have the docs, no need to guess... note that unprivileged user space
processes can't emit CP commands directly but can only use higher level
ioctls geared towards the 3D driver. May I ask what goal you are trying
to achieve?

>   5. I remember there was someone working to merge current GATOS code into
>      DRI - did these changes made it into DRI CVS ?

The GATOS DRM doesn't have anything that needs merging, does it? For the
other code, the DRI tree isn't the right target IMHO.

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer