On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 03:19, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> >
> >   1. I could not find a link to the newer ViewCVS interface on the website
> > - does it exist ?
>
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/dri/

Thank you !

> >   3. Can anyone tell me what changes are required in order to enable
> >      "idle" DRI for R300 and above ? (I.e. DRM module starts up, 2d
> >      commands go through DRM , but Mesa driver does software rendering).
>
> The infamous CP microcode is needed. AFAIK, Benjamin Herrenschmidt got
> it from ATI.

I might have it too, though one can never tell whether it works without
experiment (i.e. it might just be a copy of R200 microcode).

> >      I might have some success in figuring out CP sequences and present the
> >      result as a user-space library, but I doubt I will have time to dig
> >      inside Mesa.
>
> We have the docs, no need to guess... note that unprivileged user space
> processes can't emit CP commands directly but can only use higher level
> ioctls geared towards the 3D driver. May I ask what goal you are trying
> to achieve?

Well, I wanted to make an "example" app that exercises as many 3d related
capability as possible. With the hope that once this is published people
with more knowledge of Mesa internals would be tempted to make a real
driver.

Also, it is possible to access CP fifo via MMIO registers - if I remember
this right. That was going to be my second choice, with the preference of
connecting to DRM module directly.

> >   5. I remember there was someone working to merge current GATOS code into
> >      DRI - did these changes made it into DRI CVS ?
>
> The GATOS DRM doesn't have anything that needs merging, does it? For the
> other code, the DRI tree isn't the right target IMHO.

No, I meant the code that makes TV-in work. I was incredibly busy this
year and did not have time to start porting to 4.4.0 codebase.

                         best

                            Vladimir Dergachev