>Boy, I haven't really been following this too closely, but surely this
>sort of thing can be resolved with an extension mechanism or api
>versioning?

An extension mechanism is fine for eventually extending the basic
functionality, but a driver writer should not have to wait for consensus
to add required features to their driver. Currently I don't think we
could get very much consensus on anything other than a very basic API
so saying that advanced features can be defined extensions is perhaps
too optimistic. If the advanced features can just remain device
dependent
extensions, at least in the beginning, then we can probably make some
actual progress in getting to a design.

API versioning is a must no matter what.