Sottek, Matthew J writes:

 > I agree. I think we are on the same page. A minimal set of features is
 > all that would be part of the defined mode setting API. It is just a
 > question of if some of the multi-head concepts are generic enough to
 > be part of that defined set.

That's exactly the problem. My experience is that many things in mode
setting are just too interrelated. You can easily design a very tiny
API to set up a mode to get something drawn to the screen, however
if you want to make use of all the nice features your hardware offers
you will find out that this tiny API is more in your way than it is
useful and you'll end up duplicating everything.

Regards,
        Egbert.