Around 18 o'clock on May 6, "Sottek, Matthew J" wrote:

> I would contend that it is perhaps just a long held fear that mode setting
> is too big and complex for the kernel.

With a library API instead of a kernel API, each driver author can choose
precisely where the split belongs.

> I think you are straying into the area I wanted to stay away from. The
> driver model will have some chunk of device dependent code talking to
> the hardware that knows nothing of the high level API.

Yes, that's certainly true -- the kernel shouldn't know anything about the
machinations of user-mode API layering.

> It should be DD component telling DI component what is possible and DI
> component choosing from that list.

Yes, surely -- the graphics application has no business asserting what
video timings the monitor can accept.

The rest of your comments seem quite reasonable to me; let's keep
discussion on this list focused on the kernel aspects of video card
support and ignore what's going out in userland.

-keith