On Thu, 6 May 2004, Martin Spott wrote:

> Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>
> > Also, I would venture an opinion that, at the moment, the only Unices we
> > care about is Linux, BSD and Hurd - all open source.  The current design
> > of XFree86 (with everything done in userspace) was motivated by the need
> > to support commercial Unices (like Solaris or Unixware).
>
> Ooops, is it true that support for Solaris is supposed to be dropped ?

No, no, I was simply speaking from personal perspective. For example, a
couple of years ago I was making a specific effort to make my code as much
user-space as possible, just for portability sake, but I decided to stop
doing it. Writing drivers for Linux is involving enough and if no stupid
architecture decisions are made the port to Hurd or BSD should not be too
difficult.

                      best

                         Vladimir Dergachev