1. Add a device independent version. Device independent code could be written that would test the version number the same way device dependent code does today. The drawback is that in order to advertise version X.N functionality, you also have to adverteise version [1.1, 1.N-1] functionality. Some hardware / drivers may not want to / be able to do that.

2. Add an "extension" query ioctl. Give each piece of functionality (i.e., all the related vblank functions) a unique number. Drivers would make a query like, "Is extension 5 supported?" If that ioctl returns true, then the driver could use that functionality. The disadvantage of this method is that it increases the number of ioctl calls that need to be made. Since the set of supported extensions can be tracked in the DRM with a bit string, the additional code size should be trivial.

Thoughts?

I don't think this needs to be that complex. We only need a few working functions in the kernel:

  * identification (In particular unique identifier to pass via X to apps
    so they can find the head again)
  * event reporting (i.e. IRQs and anything else that is relevant)
  * mode setting
  * memory management
  * bitblt

Everything else is best done as device-specific with the true API belonging in user-space.

Comments ?

                    best

                      Vladimir Dergachev