I don't think this needs to be that complex. We only need a few working functions in the kernel:

  * identification (In particular unique identifier to pass via X to apps
    so they can find the head again)
  * event reporting (i.e. IRQs and anything else that is relevant)
  * mode setting
  * memory management
  * bitblt

Everything else is best done as device-specific with the true API belonging in user-space.

Comments ?

Just to say that bitblt covers a lot of ground; ie. there's lots of varieties of blits with quite a few parameters - are you talking about just a simple copy within a single framebuffer, or can source and destination have different pitches? what about different pixel formats? what about fill-blits? etc.

And secondly, that an ioctl per blit probably isn't a useful interface if you're trying to do a lot of small blits, like I guess drawing text. So if you wanted this to be maximally useful, some way of saying 'do these n blits' would make sense.

And what about cards with no 2d engine?

Keith