> I haven't followed DRI closely, so this may be a FAQ or just a stupid
> question, but why is the DRI module in the 2.6.6 kernel almost two years old?

there are 3 components to a 3d driver, DRM, DRI and DDX :-),

DRM - lives in kernel - the i830 DRM hasn't needed any major changes in
the two years.
DRI driver - lives in Mesa tree and
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/i830_dri.so, this is now at 2004, the version
in X.org tree is older, probably same as in XFree86,
DDX driver - lives in DRI and X.org trees, this is the 2d driver mainly
but calls the 3d driver initialisation,

So you have a new DRM, but an older DRI. to update your DRI use a snapshot
..

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person