Jon Smirl schrieb:

fbdev dependence is a very small part of mesa-solo that I would like to remove. fbdev is only used to set the video mode and control the cursor. Both of these of done in user space in the current XFree XAA drivers.

There are three main solutions to mode/cursors problem that no one can agree on:
1) leave fbdev in charge of mode setting and cursor, port it around to other
architectures.
2) copy of the user space code from XFree86 into a standalone library - now you
have to be root to play with the chip.
3) Add a couple of IOCTLs to DRM to support modes/cursors. Do as much of the
work as possible in user space and just pass final register values to the
IOCTLs.

I would like to see #3. I have implemented #3 locally for the radeon but there
is no acceptance for adding it to main DRM drivers.

=====

Does this mean that hardware cursor and mode switching support is the only non-3D stuff modern graphics hardware has to support to be useful on GNU/Linux systems? There would be no 2d drivers, only some basic mode switching and cursor support and OpenGL?

Philipp Klaus Krause

From Windows to Linux, servers to mobile, InstallShield X is the
one installation-authoring solution that does it all. Learn more and